It is best to freeze apple pie before baking, but you can freeze it after baking as well. Both baked and unbaked apple pie will last for up to 6 months in the freezer. If you freeze the apple pie filling by itself, it will remain fresh in the freezer for up to 12 months.
Can I freeze unbaked apple pie?
Tightly wrap unbaked pie in 3 layers of plastic wrap, making sure all sides of pie are completely sealed and unexposed. Next, place pie in gallon-size freezer plastic bag; label with the following information: Apple Pie and expiration date of pie which is 2 months after pie is frozen.
Why do you freeze a pie before baking?
A frozen crust also shrinks less when baked than a freshly rolled crust, so it holds its shape in the oven. In fact, filling and freezing a pie before baking it virtually eliminates the threat of a soggy bottom crust!
How long does unbaked frozen apple pie last?
Wrap tightly in plastic or foil, label with the date, and freeze. Unbaked pies can be kept frozen for up to three months.
How do you freeze homemade pies?
Freeze the pie, uncovered, until firm, then wrap it in a double layer of plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil and return it to the freezer. For optimal freshness, freeze the pie for no longer than 2 months. To bake a frozen fruit pie: Do not thaw.
Why is my frozen pie soggy?
When freezing leftover or freshly baked pies, they should be completely cooled to room temperature. Otherwise, moisture can get trapped in the pie and cause the crust to become overly soft and soggy. Once the pie has reached room temperature, then it is time to freeze and wrap the pie.
How do you freeze a pie after baking?
How to Freeze a Baked Pie
- Make sure your pie is fully cooled.
- Wrap the pie in plastic wrap.
- Place the pie in a freezer bag, making sure to squeeze all the air out of the bag.
- Label and date the pie, so you can tell what it is in the freezer.
How do you bake a frozen pre baked apple pie?
KEEP PIE FROZEN UNTIL READY TO BAKE!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove pie from plastic bag.
- Place frozen unbaked apple pie on center rack of oven. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees. Continue baking pie for 35 minutes longer. ( …
- Remove pie from oven. Cool on wire rack.
Does homemade apple pie need to be refrigerated?
An Apple pie does not need to be refrigerated if it is whole and kept covered. BUT, once an apple pie is opened, cut or sliced it SHOULD be placed into the refrigerator for both safe keeping and to extend its shelf life.
What pies do not need refrigeration?
Pies made with eggs, cream, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, including evaporated or condensed milk need special care. Pumpkin, cream, chiffon, or custard-based pies should not be out of the refrigerator for more than two hours. “Keep in mind, custard and cream-based pies often do not freeze well,” adds Peterson.
Do you have to thaw frozen apples before making pie?
While you can thaw your apples before baking, it is not recommended to do so for pie. Thawed apples tend to get mushy, which is better for recipes that call for pureed apples, like applesauce cake or apple butter. For the best results, you should mix your filling and bake while your apples are still frozen.
How do you reheat a frozen apple pie?
Reheating Frozen Apple Pie in the oven
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the apple pie from the freezer and place it on a baking sheet.
- Cover the pie lightly with some aluminum foil.
- Place the pie into the oven for roughly 15-20 minutes. …
- Once the pie is warmed through, take it out of the oven.
How do you use frozen apples?
Frozen apples can be used in pretty much any cooked recipes: pies, muffins, cobblers, breads, even applesauce can be made from frozen apples!
- Apple Cinnamon Scones. …
- Pumpkin Pancakes with Apple Cider Syrup. …
- Caramel Apple Nachos. …
- Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie. …
- Apple Pie Fries. …
- Pecan Caramel Apple Pie. …
- Brown Sugar Fried Apples.
Can you freeze leftover pie?
Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil or place in a freezer bag. These pies can be frozen for up to two months. Thaw in the refrigerator.