While it is advised that you cook your rice in a steamer using a rice-cooking bowl, you can also steam it directly in the vegetable steaming compartment. With this method, at least you don’t have to worry about how much water to add to the rice.
How long do you cook rice in a vegetable steamer?
Using a Rice Cooking Bowl
- Measure rice and water into the steamer’s rice bowl with a pinch of salt. …
- Fill the steamer’s reservoir to its maximum level, and assemble the steamer compartments and drip tray as usual. …
- Set the timer to 45 or 50 minutes for brown or red rice, or 25 to 30 minutes for white rice.
How do you cook white rice in a vegetable steamer?
Place in a steamer filled with cold water (the water should not be boiling when the rice is placed into the steamer). Turn on the heat to high, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, and let the rice sit in the steamer with the lid on for at least 5 more minutes.
What can you cook in a vegetable steamer?
Which vegetables can I steam?
- Good vegetables to steam – Broccoli, spinach and other leafy greens; cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, green beans, small potatoes and artichokes.
- Veg to avoid steaming – Any large chunks of hard veg, such as potatoes, squash or celeriac.
Can rice be steamed?
To steam medium or long-grain rice using the standard stovetop simmer method, start with a 1-to-2 ratio. … Simmer the rice for 20 minutes (or according to package directions) without lifting the lid. Remove the pot from the heat and let it stand for an additional 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
Can you steam brown rice in a steamer?
Fill steamer with water to the high mark. Place steamer basket on steamer. Put rice in rice bowl with 2 1/2 c clean water. Cover steamer and steam for 65 to 70 minutes Let sit for 10 minutes.
Can you steam rice in a bamboo steamer?
The most gentler way of cooking rice is by use of Bamboo Steamer Baskets. They perform best in cooking healthy food without losing flavor, shape, and nutrients. The steaming baskets have bottoms made of thin, parallel slats that allow wafting of steam through them, and latticed lids that contain the steam.
Is steam rice good for health?
Steaming rice is one of the healthier ways to cook this food because this prevents the loss of water-soluble nutrients into the cooking water and doesn’t require any added fat. Steamed rice is a healthier alternative to fried rice, especially if you choose steamed brown rice instead of white.
How long does it take to steam rice?
Bring rice and water (3 3/4 cups) to a boil in a 4-quart wide heavy pot and boil, uncovered, without stirring, until steam holes appear in rice and grains on surface look dry, 5 to 7 minutes.
Can you cook basmati rice in a steamer?
Boil the rice on high to get a rolling boil then immediately lower to medium low, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 17 minutes. After 17 minutes, allow the rice to sit for 10 minutes, off the heat, to steam. Do not open the lid!
How do you steam vegetables in a steamer?
How to steam vegetables: a tutorial!
- Step 1: Chop the veggies into uniform pieces. …
- Step 2: Fill the pot with water under the steamer basket. …
- Step 3: Add the veggies, cover, and steam until crisp tender (timing below). …
- Step 4: Drain and season.
How much water do you need to steam rice?
The basic water to white rice ratio is 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. You can easily, double and even triple the recipe; just make sure you are using a pot large enough to hold the rice as it cooks and expands.